Tuesday, July 17, 2018

My Thoughts on the Big Orange Turd in the White House

Nothing surprises me with Trump anymore. Nothing. Just when you think he can't say or do anything worse than he did the day before, a new day dawns and he's at it again; sinking to even lower depths as a president and as a human being.

This is exactly what I expected from his presidency. And the powerful two-party chokehold slowly strangling this democracy to an agonizing death supports this type of behavior. Party politics have supplanted common sense and moral strength to do the right thing.  It's clear that most Republicans are going to go down with the Trump ship, regardless of what crazy and horrible thing he does next. Fuck America; this is about towing the party line.

I said it before, and I'll continue to say it: you try to force two utterly shitty choices for president down people's throats, you can't expect anything more than a shit show as the result. Hence, welcome to America 2018! The important thing that we SHOULD HAVE learned from all this is that our election laws and processes need to change.  Elections need to be truly OPEN and fair to all candidates -not just those that have been vetted by the Democratic and Republican powers that be. It boggles my mind that everyone isn't as fed up as I am at having candidates FORCED on them.  Yet, after every fucked up election, people fail to change anything and go right back to blaming the other party for the current situation.  And both parties are completely fine with this because they stay in control.  They stay in control despite the fact that their approval ratings are abysmal!

Trump is the result of gaming an election. It certainly backfired for the two major parties this time -they stepped in some really deep shit. But instead of trying to remove themselves, they gleefully started rolling around in it.  In some ways, they had to since they created this system. It's fucking embarrassing for me as a citizen of this once-great democracy to watch this unfold on the world stage. It's even more embarrassing and sad and frightening to see how many folks will enthusiastically support this sack of shit and his administration -as well as all the hate and vitriol that comes out of it and him. I really thought we were further along as a nation -as a species- before Trump came along. Boy, have my eyes been opened.

Trump also illustrates that, with the right PR and TV coverage, people will fucking believe ANYTHING you sell them. The majority of Trump fans TRULY BELIEVE he is every bit the character he portrayed in The Apprentice all those seasons on TV.  They bought the phony props and scenery and believed that he was this shrewd, intelligent, successful businessman worth billions of dollars.  The real facts about Trump aren't hard to find. Nobody's interested in the facts, though. This completely blows my mind to this day.

So yeah, nothing surprises me anymore.  I'm just left with a deeper and deeper sense of disappointment in my government and my fellow man.  The only thing I can do is continue to RESIST this hate and dumbassery and focus on all the beautiful and intelligent people that still inhabit this world.  There are outstanding people accomplishing outstanding things around us every day. Unfortunately, very few of them are working for our government.  But still, it gives me hope and inspires me to seek out the good in the world and do my part to ensure that survives.  I pretty much ignore Trump these days.  There's really nothing I can do.  It's obvious the only people who can really do anything about Trump are too busy falling in line with party politics.  They're mired in the shit show that they've created.  Trump lovers aren't going to stop loving him; regardless of what new horrible things he does or says next.  They're all in it for the long haul. Stubborn. Illogical. Defensive. There's no open dialog anymore, just two sides shouting back and forth at one another. That's not getting us anywhere and it's why I stay mostly silent on things.  But every once in a while, like today, I feel it's necessary to restate my opinion and where I stand on things. Not because I think it's going to change anyone's mind, but just because I want it part of some official record for my own peace of mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment